Friday, February 26, 2010

Slushed

It’s snowing. It seems like it may never stop snowing. The calendar says it will be spring in three weeks but I am skeptical. I could go outside and blow the snow off the driveway one more time but my husband brought me some Kahlua and Vodka before he left to stay in the City and having a cocktail seems like such a better idea than manual labor that I will let the snow accrue until the morning and will deal with it then. They say it may snow all day tomorrow too. My in-laws are upstate NY and they had four feet of snow as of 8:30 a.m. with no sign of it stopping over the next 24 hours and they were laughing. I suppose that is what people do when there is nothing else to be done; they laugh.

We were laughing last night as we drove through the end of the world. In a moment of what can only be described as insane, some friends and I drove into NYC last night for dinner and a show. My guardian angel, JK, treated me to this wonderful, death defying evening. Dinner on Restaurant Row with gourmet prices and Weight Watchers sized meals prevented it from being a total assault on my diet but, oh boy, was it good! I am grateful! I am grateful! The play, Mamet’s “Race” was great. I love James Spader. David Allen Grier:really good. Richard Thomas: excellent. Kerry Washington: could have been anyone. Overall evening: a ten. Driving home? White knuckle time. This blizzard, this amazing blizzard, had eyes. Looking at the weather channel, it was as though someone had arbitrarily decided to paint New York State white and Connecticut green. The road was horrible; didn’t see a plow or salt-truck, and cars, or their drivers, were freaking out. I’d left my Prius in JK’s driveway and was grateful for her SUV as we worked our way out of Manhattan as I’d never seen it, up the West Side Highway, on to the Henry Hudson and up to the Hutch with drivers literally freaking out on the unplowed road. Snow was driving at the headlights at such a rate I would have sworn we’d entered hyper-space like in Star Wars. Then, in Norwalk, it just stopped! No snow, no ice, no slush; just rain. The thermostat jumped to 39 degrees and last week’s accumulation was gone. We were safe. Snow didn’t hit us until the wee hours of the morning but it’s as if it has been making up for lost time. I have no idea what time it is. I have been watching reruns all day and changed out of my pajamas only long enough to clear the driveway.

So I’m home; I’m safe; I have cabin fever that is only dulled by this incredible White Russian I have concocted from my husband’s parting gifts and a dollop of International Coffee’s White Chocolate Macadamia Nut non-dairy creamer. I am as sloshed as my driveway is slushed. Spring? Right.

No comments:

Post a Comment