Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Another Day

Tiger Woods drove his car into a tree sparking lead stories on the news for over a week. Well, my husband once drove into a concrete barrier and I’ll bet this is the first you heard of it. Are we insane? Who cares? “Stop the presses; he’s getting a ticket!” My husband broke his hand! Top that, Tiger! Why is this news? Surely there must be something more important going on in the world? “He cheated on his wife.” Now there’s an original infraction. France’s Mitterand had both his wife and mistress at his funeral. (This tidbit ended up as a question on Trivial Pursuit! At least they acknowledge it is trivial.)

Angelina is having hot screen sex with Johnny Depp! Folks, wake up! This is their job! It shouldn’t be news to anyone that some people have better jobs than other people. This is one of those jobs! But don’t envy them yet. How do you know they don’t have bad breath? They’re both so skinny, surely their bodies are decomposing in some way and maybe they simply taste of decomposing flesh. You don’t know. Perhaps it is the worst job in the world! Perhaps they are secretly envying the guy who flips those burgers and has all-you-can-eat-french-fries-and-milkshake privileges.

And speaking of flip, I would like to flip off Brazil for even contemplating a lawsuit against Robin Williams for a bad joke on Letterman. It was a joke! You don’t like it? Don’t laugh.

Today was our 25th Wedding Anniversary. Now that’s important! We spent most of the day in bed…sleeping. My poor husband is in week three of the bug-that-just-won’t-die. We got wonderful cards and calls from immediate family members; well, all but one, over whose head I will hold this for a while and then let him off the hook as I usually do. Best laugh of the day came from my dear friend Davia who told me she and her husband were going to drink a toast in our honor as soon as they could liquefy the toast. It’s 12:04 a.m. and the big day has past. I’m tired again. (Still?) I check my email and the headlines that let me know the world is still as stupid a place as it was this morning only now it is raining and 60 degrees. Is it really December? I met a man the other day who thought it was silly that the Jewish New Year takes place in the 7th month of the Jewish year. Makes sense to me. I get older in June. My marriage gets older in December. Every day is important. The markers only help us appreciate the passage of time. I have to sleep now which will be difficult as poor husband is next to me hacking up a lung. It’s okay. I have it on good authority that I now snore. I hope he feels better tomorrow. Another day…

No comments:

Post a Comment