Friday, December 11, 2009

First Snow

First snow of the season and we go outside to clean off the driveway. We got about four inches so my husband goes for the gas-powered, self-propelled snow-blower that was a hand-me-down from my father-in-law who smartened up and bought a plow. My father-in-law will be 90 in a few weeks; I think this plow was his first toy. My husband hands me the better of two shovels we have in the garage. He revs up the engine, throws the snow-blower into drive and follows the self-propelling monster down the driveway. I start shoveling the steps. The snow-blower cuts a neat footpath down the length of our driveway and stalls at the bottom. My husband tries to fix it. I keep shoveling. Fifteen minutes later I have cleared the steps and have started on the driveway; my husband is still puttering with the dead snow-blower. He gives up, leaves it in the road and TAKES MY SHOVEL! I get the old rickety one and we work side by side for a while. He continually instructs me on the proper way to push the snow. After a few passes across the top of the driveway he goes back to the snow-blower. Instead of giving it to me, he puts the good shovel down like it is on reserve. The snow-blower starts! I put down the rickety shovel and take up the one that can actually lift the snow as he follows after the put-put-putterer. Halfway up the driveway the snow-blower stalls again. The snow is too wet and heavy and it keeps clogging the ancient machine. He TAKES MY SHOVEL AGAIN! We do this routine for a while. Every time the snow-blower stalls he TAKES MY SHOVEL as if he has dibs on it; as if it is beneath him to use anything but the best working equipment we have. I am not surprised by this behavior. He does it in the fall too, or at least he used to do it. Back in the day when leaf removal was a family activity, he & my son would fight over the good leaf-blower and I’d rake while they argued. Now that we have a great leaf-blower neither one of them lifts a finger; they just let me do the whole thing. I didn’t really mind this year. It was a warm autumn and it is a great leaf-blower. I would get into these almost Zen states with the heavy contraption strapped to my back and the vibration coursing through my body that would last for hours after I stopped. But the snow is another matter. That snow-blower scares me, with those powerful blades churning and getting stuck and threatening to cut off your hands if you try to clear out the clogs. I started it by myself once and thought I’d be sucked under its thick, squat wheels. And when it stalls (notice I don’t say “if”) there is no way to move that thing! So it looks like the snow-blower will remain my husband’s vehicle of choice and I will invest in a second “good” shovel. I just hope it doesn’t snow a lot!

No comments:

Post a Comment