Thursday, August 12, 2010

Ah Levai

I’m not quite sure what the literal translation of “Ah levai” is but my grandmother used to say it a lot. I understand the context. I think it means something like “Thanks to God”. “Ah levai, we should all be healthy.” “Ah levai, I hope this works out.” It is used interchangeably in my vocabulary with “From your mouth to God’s ears.” That is to say, “I sure hope this happens.”

It’s been a good summer, and I don’t mean to speak of it as if it already over, being that it is barely the middle of August, but it seems like it has been summer for a long while now and, yes, it has been good. I wanted to run two three-week sessions of my summer workshop for kids but I am pleased with the success of the single program I was able to fill with 25 students. As a result of the shortened work schedule, I was able to spend a few days visiting my Mom in Florida and basking in the warm salt waters of the southern Atlantic, an absolutely delicious experience. I returned to audition for Long Wharf Theatre which went well and was followed by a call from dear friends to spend a long weekend in the Hamptons. We tossed some things in a bag and ferried over Long Island Sound, a much better idea than bucking the traffic on the Long Island Expressway on a Friday. With waters about 20 degrees cooler than I had been used to, I still basked in the waters of the Atlantic, although it did take a full minute before I could catch my breath in the chill. Upon returning home, I got word that my unemployment insurance has finally, completely expired. I am now fully dependent on the string of part-time jobs I have pieced together. Ah levai it will be enough. We always seem to be one step ahead of the wolf at the door. Ah levai that will continue. I auditioned at Hartford Stage today and ah levai that will be productive. My son has had interviews at Danbury and Hartford Hospitals for his final year of grad school and ah levai will graduate in May with a Master’s Degree in something he enjoys doing that will bring him a security we have never known. In the meantime, he is moving back home to save money. Ah levai we can all live together after all these years without wanting to kill each other and/or ourselves. He’s on his way with a carload of clothes and books and I am sort of excited about the year ahead. Ah levai it will be a good one. Ah levai.

No comments:

Post a Comment