Friday, November 4, 2011

Return to Civilization

I heard a beautiful sound tonight and the rush of joy it brought to my heart was more than I could ever have anticipated. I flushed the toilet. After almost a week of no electricity in my home, the simple joy of flushing a toilet, of hearing the water sucked out of the bowl and on to its sewage-bound destination was overwhelming. Flipping a light switch and having the light come on… what a miracle. I filled the dishwasher with the encrusted dishes from the week-long pile-up in the waterless sink, set it to ‘heavy wash’ and ‘tough scrub’, and started my shopping list. We need everything. I threw out a hefty bag filled with the contents of my refrigerator and will turn my attention to the freezer tomorrow. It all has to go before I talk myself into believing any of it is edible. I don’t want food poisoning to add any more victims to the death toll from last Saturday’s Nor’easter. I heard on the news today that one more person has died as a result of carbon monoxide poisoning from a poorly ventilated generator. Add to shopping list: carbon monoxide detector and a generator. Exhausted, I watched TV just because I could. I pulled back the multiple layers of extra quilts and blankets and crawled into bed. Tomorrow I clean up the residue of camp life around the fireplace in the living room and remove the streaks of candlewax from the kitchen counters. But tonight, I sleep, so grateful for the modern amenities and with a new respect for the trees.

11 a.m. the next morning, And... they're off again. Thud. )That's my heart hitting the floor.)

And they're back! Yay!!!! Now let's KEEP IT THIS WAY!

No comments:

Post a Comment