Monday, September 14, 2009

The Fox in the Henhouse

My Mom just sent me a link to a YouTube site: the CUFI (Christians United for Israel) Singers singing Hava Nagila Texas style. The other day as I was walking up Fifth Avenue in New York, I encountered a group of Hasidic Jews who were protesting the State of Israel. Their signs were vile, saying things like “True Jews will never recognize Israel” and other far-less-nice sentiments. Is anyone else confused? As a Jewess, I love the State of Israel. As the granddaughter of a man whose brother, sister-in-law and four babies boarded a ship bound for Havana only to be turned back to Europe where they were killed, I love the State of Israel. Not only is it a beautiful country, reclaimed from the desert by people who were committed to their personal survival as well as that of the land, a country that produced some of the greatest minds and inventions of the last century, a country that says “Don’t fuck with us; we have had it with being fucked!”, but a country where I felt for the first time in my life that it was not only okay to be a Jew, it was wonderful. So why does it scare me that other Jews so vehemently oppose this beautiful State while Evangelical Christian support it? Why do I feel like I’ve heard this story before and it is called “The Fox and the Henhouse”.

1 comment:

  1. Better late than never........Israel, whom I can never stop talking about......the most remarkable country on this earth..which proves that if you really want something badly enough it can be accomplished. thank you for being you

    ReplyDelete