Monday, September 14, 2009

Mystery

I got an email last night from a couple thanking me for the great time they had with me “yesterday” working with me on training someone I’ll call “B”. I’m assuming “B” is their son. I don’t know who they are but apparently they’ve “been working on some of the stuff we started yesterday”. I don’t know what I did! I don’t remember training anyone for anything and they say they’re looking forward to seeing me on Saturday! Is there someplace I’m supposed to go? It’s not in my book and if it isn’t in my book, there’s a good chance I won’t be there!

Yesterday? I did this “Yesterday”? I’m wracking my brain! I went to New Rochelle to perform for a room full of financial divorce planners, then to an audition in NY. Did I inadvertently help someone? I’m stumped.

I have been lax of late, too lazy to go downstairs and find my book when a new appointment needs to be written down. That’s because a) I’m tired and b) most of the things I have to write down aren’t terribly important to me. If something is important, I can generally get off my ass and find a pencil. But this other stuff – someone else’s stuff – if I remember, okay. If I forget, a simple “oops, I forgot” usually assuages any guilt I might feel for missing it.

This business of writing things down is further complicated by the fact that next year’s datebook is already in my possession. I have a doctor’s appointment in March. I will bet you dollars to donuts that a day before that appointment I will get an audition and have to change it but, at the time, with the eager receptionist wanting to codify that the office would indeed still be open and his job necessary in six months, it seemed a good idea to choose a date for a check-up. I love check-ups. For six months you store up a list of things you think you should ask or tell the doctor but when the appointment rolls around and he says “You’re fine” with such conviction that it seems petty to complain you suddenly can’t remember that you had a question or a symptom at all because you didn’t write them down! (See above paragraph for reference to what I think is important enough to get me off the couch in search of a pencil. Scary, isn’t it?)

I’m thinking I may remember who this person is who wrote me the very friendly “Thank you” email and it isn’t a prospective student or loving family that I might have helped and then blacked out for some reason. I think it’s that crazy financial planner I told you about a few weeks ago (the one who talked so fast the window blinds actually fluttered) and the would-be son is his acolyte who found my name on my poster at the supermarket and duped me into attending that training session after which I told them they were scary, slick and about as trustworthy as snakes. Maybe I helped them after all!

No comments:

Post a Comment