Friday, November 27, 2009

I Figured it Out

54. I Figured It Out
I woke up this morning and I had it all figured out: what I wanted to do today, what movies I wanted to see, who I want my husband to marry when I die… I’m not dying, but if I do I know exactly who he should marry. I won’t tell you because you’ll think I’m insane. He thought I was insane when I told him but I could tell by the smile on his face that not only did he think I am insane but that it’s a good idea. And then he went back to sleep.

I am taking a break from cleaning. I awoke refreshed at 9 a.m. after getting to bed at 3:00 with half of an Ambien in my system and thought about rushing off to the gym for a one-hour body sculpting class; one with weights and aerobics and the promise of absolute exhaustion at the end. Then I smelled my house and decided to put this energy into cleaning it; something that wouldn’t happen if I left it at the gym. I had a cup of real coffee instead of my usual decaf and tackled the loft/den first, washing upholstery, dusting, polishing but holding off on the vacuuming until the sleepy men in my life catch up. Whoo! I am charged. Next was the kitchen. What was that smell under the sink? It’s gone now. The scents of Pledge, Endust, Lysol, Febreze, Oxi-clean, Cheer and Snuggle are tickling my senses; lemon and vanilla, yum.

I can’t write for long. There are other rooms to conquer, dust mites to vanquish, odors to obliterate. I will not allow myself to think of the futility of it all; that no matter how clean I get everything right now it will be dirty again within a few days. Nothing matters except right now. Clean, clean, clean, go to a feel good movie and then maybe turn my attention to world peace. I can do it. Today I can do anything.

2 comments:

  1. Totally off topic.....I am running for re-election for the Board of Directors at the condo where I live. I now know why our governments cannot attract the best of people to run.

    This is the most horrendous experience (outisde of death) that I have lived through. The mud slinging, the disgusting accusations...what it makes you want to do is strike back. Thats a normal reaction. But going down into the gutter is wrong . (I hope)Because the group that I am associated with has decided to take the high road. Do you have any idea how difficult it is to take the high road. I don't know how anyone runs for any public office. Maybe you know. Ellie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad to hear that you lived through death. Once youve done that nothing should be able to touch you. My very wise father would often remind me that people are lousy. He was right. But many are okay. You just have to find them. Phyllis Diller advised people to cut out anyone from your life who is not supportive of you. In this case the only road to take is the high road. Otherwise you have to get down in the mud with the people who like living there. The trick is to do it without letting them bother you. Let them spin their wheels and spew their venon. Tune them out and stick to wht you know is right. Reason has to prevail. What those people love most is a fight. They don't want solutions; they feed off the angst and drama. Remove the drama and thay have no reason to be there. The smaller a person is the more desperate he is to hold on to whatever power he can. Try flattery; make that person think you respect him and he might soften his opposition because you are no longer an enemy. Listen more than you talk; stay true to your ideals; manipulate quietly and without aggravation... or get out and save your sanity. Good luck.

    ReplyDelete