Sunday, October 10, 2010

Early to Rose

It’s 5:45 a.m. and I’ve been awake for awhile. This hasn’t happened in a long time. I am more likely not to have fallen asleep at all than to have nodded off blissfully at a decent hour and awakened before dawn. But somewhere in m y sleep state, the list of things I had to do started scrolling like the end of a high-tech movie… on and on and on. There was no choice but to get up and write them down. Once I did that, I figured, I would be able to get some sleep. But once I was up, once I was writing the list of things on the TO DO list on my laptop, I started doing them. That’s perhaps the most marvelous thing about email and the internet. You can contact people and places at any hour of the day or night and its okay! Gone is the 10 o’clock rule for people and the 9 to 5ness of business. Gone is the sleepy voice at the other end of the phone when you call too early, or the panic that somebody died when you call too late. Gone is the feeling of intrusion into someone else’s life when you simply call at the wrong time. There is no wrong time! No one is going to check their email in the middle of having sex. The ‘e’ in email does not stand for ‘emergency’. It’s so liberating! I can be insane as the sun comes up and not disturb a soul!

No comments:

Post a Comment