Thursday, October 7, 2010

No big deal

It shouldn't be a big deal. I'm an actress. I should be used to this. It should come as my due. Jobs, rolling in until it is routine. I'm an actress (or actor in contemporary parlance). It is what I do.... in addition to a thousand other things that bring me varying degrees of satisfaction or aggravation. But when you get right down to it, there is nothing that I'd rather be doing than acting. There's a joy in acting, a release, that just doesn't exist anywhere else, at least for me. So, when I get a chance to do it, it's a good day. When I get a chance to do it on a television show that I love and respect, it's a great day. So Tuesday will therefore be a great day. I'm shooting an episode of "Nurse Jackie" with the amazing Edie Falco. How cool is that? It's a small role but it's meaningful; a real moment; a full character in a small scene. It's not "memorize, show up, deliver your exposition and leave because no one really cares 'who' you are". There's a backstory. They care. I'm totally psyched - all set to shoot next Friday. It's perfect! I have my job on Monday and the class I teach on Tuesday and the gilr I coach on Wednesday and the job with JIB on Thursday and I'll shoot on Friday! What a week. But wait. First thing this morning the wardrobe person calls me for my sizes and colors, even asks about my eyes. And as she signs off she says "See you Tuesday". Tuesday? Can't be Tuesday. I get home from work at about 3 a.m. Tuesday morning. If I sleep all day I can make my class Tuesday evening. What time Tuesday? Why Tuesday? Tuesday screws up Monday AND Tuesday! Maybe she made a mistake. The Lexapro keeps me from driving off the road. I get to JIB and my agent calls. It's Tuesday. The Lord giveth and the Lord taketh away. My husband says it's a sign: that THIS is what I'm supposed to be doing and the other stuff is disposable. I agree. But the money isn't disposable. We have bills to pay! Why can't I have it all? Still, Tuesday will be a great day.

No comments:

Post a Comment