Sunday, April 24, 2011

Round and Round and Round

Round and round and round it goes. Will it stop? Nobody knows!

I don’t remember who came down with it first. I think it was my son who spent this semester doing a rotation in an elementary school towards his Masters Degree. Elementary Schools: a breeding ground for germs and bacteria second only to hospitals but with even less of the hygiene. He’d come home and head straight for the shower, quivering at the thought of runny-nosed kids running up for a hug. I’m glad he’s popular. I wish they wouldn’t touch him.

He went down hard: sinus infection, throat, the works. Missed a week of school. By the time he was better, I was on my way to the doctor.

Or was my husband the next to succumb? He works at Madison Square Garden which is undergoing renovations even as the seasons of basketball, hockey and concerts grind on. It started in the sinuses. Asbestos, we thought. But then came the other symptoms and his first round of antibiotics. When was that? My first round was in February.

Two up, one down, one up, two down. One or another of us has been sick since the ball dropped in Times Square. My son went down for round two a couple of weeks ago. I’m on antibiotics again, along with steroids, antihistamines and a new inhaler. Right now, my husband is standing in front of me struggling to get the cap back on the childproof bottle of Tylenol. He can’t ask for help; he can’t speak. Day four of his antibiotics.

Interesting sidebar: we’re all sick, we all keep re-infecting each other, and yet we’re all given different pills. Why is that?

It is Easter Sunday and the temperature has reached a balmy 71°. I dragged myself out of bed this morning, opened every window in the house and the door and did four loads of laundry including all the bedding. Someone once gave me an Indian Smudge Stick for purification. I wonder where that went. It doesn’t seem like a bad idea right now to circle the house a few times and cast out all the evil spirits. It finally feels like spring and I’d like to enjoy it… if only I could stop coughing.

No comments:

Post a Comment