Friday, August 28, 2009

I’m sorry for the bad weather, everybody. I’m pretty sure it’s my fault. I scheduled headshots for today and tomorrow I have to drive to Long Island and then Brooklyn to see the film my husband is in, “Rivers Wash Over Me” at BAM. That is why Tropical Storm Danny is descending on our area. If we don’t leave early enough, the River will indeed be washing over me: the Saw Mill River, which floods the Saw Mill River Parkway if someone merely spills their coffee out the car window. I stayed home all week and the weather was perfect but sooner or later a person has to go out so I’m sorry.

Seriously, I don’t really think my actions control the weather. That is my mother’s job.

My Mom has been known to precipitate blizzards with the planning of a party, hurricanes and tornadoes if she even thinks about taking a trip. Years ago, when I told her we’d picked December 2nd for our wedding, she looked terrified and asked “Why?” My reasoning was simple. I came rather late in life to the whole wedding thing and I knew that if we were going to make it down the aisle at all, a long engagement and family participation were not in our best interests. I gave her six-weeks. “Besides”, I said, “It isn’t even winter technically. It never snows until the end of the month.” What I didn’t realize at the time was that her own wedding, on November 30th, had precipitated the blizzard of 1960! It snowed on my wedding day. In fact, I think it stopped snowing in April that year.

And so I sit here this August evening, a quilt covering my cold feet because I am unwilling to submit and put on socks in August. I’ll turn on the Yankee game soon but I won’t concentrate on the game. I’ll clean or something. They do much better when I’m not watching. They do best when I can’t even listen! David Cone & David Wells pitched their perfect games when I was in the Catskill Mountains with no reception!

The Universe is a strange and wonderful place. Everything is connected. Change one small thing and everything is different. I’m going downstairs now. Is everybody ready?

No comments:

Post a Comment